Friday 28 October 2016

Oooooh honey..

For some reason rain really calms me down and autumn makes me the most happy person alive- while for loads of people it is the other way around, not for me though! The whole summer I've barely made any art work which is such a shame. But now autumn's visiting again, my whole drawing mood decided to come with it, yay! 

At the beginning of the year I started this sketch knowing it would be such a cool illustration; typical me but at the same time something I've never been doing before. I also knew it was going to take loads of time, which is probably the reason I left it for more than half a year waiting to finish.

But I did it! Days, days, and days it took me. Every time I had to wait somewhere for something or something, I took out my sketchbook and continued with it. And for being the person I am and never being satisfied, I sort of am satisfied with the outcome.


Can you tell that took me some time? Hah! Lately I've been trying out loads of different mediums. Gouache is one of them, and it got me in the biggest love/hate relationship I've ever been in. Starting with this drawing I planned to use my micron fineliners only. But as soon as I started with one of the bee's I realised that it wasn't going to work, as it blended in with the background right away.

So, gouache it was. It actually sounds so fancy, doesn't it? But ooooh how I wished it worked as fancy as it sounds. I can't even explain it.. Like even though you let it dry, as soon as you apply a second layer it blends it with the first layer and it lifts up the colour underneath it.. Aaargh! Someone teach me, please.

But at the end I think it worked out fine. The gouache was a struggle, I do have to admit. But I definitely learned something and I am excited to learn more about it! And also start filling up my sketchbook a bit more.

Now the question is; should I make print out of them? I think they'd look cool but there is no point in making prints when no one wants them, huh? Let me know if you'd like any of them! And I hope you enjoyed this blog post. Sometimes I forget a little bit about my little blog, but I do enjoy writing on it way to much!

Love,
Kim.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this masterpiece! So yes, make prints!! <3 Gr. Joost

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wat gaaaaf!! Je kunt echt zien dat dit megaveel tijd heeft gekost, maar het was 't zeker waard<33

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dit is werkelijk zo leuk en mooi! De bijtjes lijken er werkelijk echt (in 3D) op te liggen :D xx

    ReplyDelete