Friday 9 September 2016

A heart like yours

Alright, hi. My name is Kim and I fell in love with oil painting. I turned two of my favourite drawings into paintings- and even though these two were like my first proper attempt using oils, I'm so happy with how they turned out. I even made a youtube video about the whole progress. Woah!


Okay, I don't really know where to begin really.. This painting and the video in particular are a great example of things I thought I couldn't do- well at least not in a way I wanted them to turn out, but turned out better than I hoped.

Actually, I think I just need to stop talking for a few minutes and let you watch the video first. I did a voice over (eeeeks) talking about soms bits and pieces, so I don't see the point of summing up what I am going to say. I do want to go into depth a bit more about those things in a minute- so excuse me for my rambling already. 



Well then. I hope you liked that! Now I am going to write three paragraphs about the whole progress (just joking, kind of).. As I mentioned, about a year ago I did the illustration of the two hearts in my sketchbook and immediately it was one of my favourite things I ever put in one of my sketchbook. I wanted it to be more than just two drawings in my sketchbook while even drawing it, so I thought I would paint them eventually. I did, only a year later after I made the two drawings. Oh well! 

The reason this is one of my favourite work I ever did is probably because it has a meaning behind it, which a lot of other drawings don't. I mean, take for example the drawings I do of random animals or objects, with all the little abstract figures- I guess you could say, in it. The last thing I drew was an avocado, and the only reason I drew an avocado is simply because I just like to eat them, haha. 

You could say these two paintings have a bit of a bigger meaning beside the fact I like flowers and drawing hearts. It all started after watching the movie 'If I Stay'. At the end of the movie a song that went like "how could a heart like yours ever love a heart like mine". I haven't got the words to explain how powerful that sentence felt to me and straight from there I did the sketch in my sketchbook. I didn't copy the sketch exactly by the way, I didn't really like the way I drew the flowers, so I completely changed them.

But as I said in the video, I like everyone to have their own interpretation and reason behind it.


Now I'm kind of debating if I should turn these two into prints or not. I made prints of the hearts I drew in my sketchbook already, click here if you want to check them out! And I don't want to add another product that's almost similar to a product I already have, if that makes sense. Or maybe I'll make prints on a bigger paper, the same scale as the paintings are..

So what do you think, prints or nah? Anyway, I hope you liked this blogpost, the painting, and my video of course.

Love,
Kim.

11 comments:

  1. ZO MOOI!! De betekenis erachter is ook prachtig, dit hoort echt in een expositie thuis!<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is literally incredible!!! you are so talented x

    www.brittanyfenton.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Mag ik alvast even reserveren voor je aankomende tentoonstelling in de eregalerij in het Rijks, want damn dit is goed! Hier mag je echt super-duper trots op zijn hihi! :) En jaaaa If i stay is echt zo'n mooie film! Ik heb gelijk even de muziek aangezet waar je het over hebt en met de muziek op de achtergrond al kijkend naar deze twee bijzondere schilderijen doet mijn ogen toch wel een beetje tranen. Dankjewel, mijn kijk op zowel het leven als kunst is weer een beetje verrijkt! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja haaaaallo wat is dit nou weer voor reactie.. DIT IS TE LIEF en nu weet ik niet hoe ik moet reageren. Duizend keer dankjewel, dit maakt echt mijn hele week. <3

      Delete
  4. ze zijn echt prachtig. wat een mooie kleuren ook en super veel detail!
    heel erg gaaf.

    liefs joelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ik hou echt zo van je stijl! Van wie je bent en je tekeningen zelf, het klopt gewoon allemaal :) Prachtige video en schilderijen ook xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wauw, wat n talent!! Echt super mooi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh prachtig!! ECHT ZO MOOI!! Je hebt echt mega veel talent!

    ReplyDelete