Tuesday 5 July 2016

Lots of dots and goodbye artist's block

Lately everything I've been creating doesn't feel right to me. No matter what I draw, paint, write and basically everything creatively related, doesn't feel good enough. Overall, the definition of this (super-duper dumb) thing is called 'artist's block'- which has been going on for way too long. But after months I created something that feels rather good than bad, and I feel like showing it while taling a bit over about the thing 'artist's block'.

Well, if you are also creative in some way, I am sure you will deal with those days that your imagination and creativity suddenly leave you all alone. The motivation to beg them to stay is also nowhere to be found, and mostly when that happens I just leave it and hope it disappears as soon as possible....

Only this time it didn't disappear in a few days. Not even in a few weeks.. Which sucks, especially when you are in art school and you are basically forced to make art. Even though I didn't struggle that much at school. Simply because the art I create at school is very different from the things I do 'in my spare time'. The work I do at school is very experimental and I don't mind it if it goes wrong. Simply because I have to learn from it.

But beside that, I am stuck with the art I do for myself. The drawings I do in my sketchbook, with way too much detail and subjects that are always close to nature- like animals (mostly insects) and plants. The things that mostly don't really have a meaning, beside the fact I just like it to draw them. And like them enough to let them print on postcards to sell..

You know, I think that's the whole think why it sucks so much, because I 'can't' create what I am most comfortable with. And I know this can sound very dramatic- even though that's the person I am so jokes on me, but drawing those things I am so comfortable with is like therapy to me. No matter how I feel, whether it's sadness, stressed out, or when I just need to get my mind of things, it does that for me. As simple as that, by just drawing.

And then this happened.


I bought a new sketchbook, a new pen and tried something completely new- while still being in that area I feel comfortable in. You know, the flower and the amount of detail I put in almost every work I do. And even though it has elements of things I draw all the time, it's something I've never done before.

If you ask me, that's how an artist's block actually starts. Just the fear of trying something new and failing. So you just don't do it and create this insecurity that blocks you from creating. What a shame. So basically if you want to overcome an artist's block as soon as possible; try new things, don't be afraid-especially don't be afraid to fail (!!!!!). Also, don't get stuck at one place, work wise or physical. IF you get stuck physical, go for walks. Travel (even it's by bike). Visit exhibitions, get inspired.

Also, having a change of medium is known for beating artist's block- well at least one of, so I decided that I wanted to learn to paint with oil paints. Something I've been wanting to do for literally ages, but I never got to it.  I've been inspired by this amazing artist called Lena Danya for so long, and so is this little painting I did. I used her reference picture she showed in a video, so credits to her!


Well, that's the result. In case you can't tell, it's basically some raindrops on a window. If I have to be honest- which I aaaalways do of course, I do kind of like it. Sometimes I start with something while having the whole "lol-this-will-be-a-proper-fail" mindset going on, and that counts for this one as well. I am very new to oil paint, I am even very new to painting. Before I started this school year I never really painted, until I got painting class and I just had to, obviously.. 

And so, I started to paint a lot with acrylic this year (which I do now realise) isn't really my thing. If you'd knew me in real life, you'd know I am a really slow person. I think it isn't that bad, but everyone tells me. Plus the fact that my palette is almost dried up already when I am not even finished with painting the first layer.. Yup. So if you are also that sort of person: oil paints is everything.

Which makes oil painting basically meant to be for me, and so I'll stop rambling and just hope you liked it. I also sound so emo in this whole blog post, I am not. I am very happy and everything is actually going very well. Just the creative part was a bit 'blahgggg' but my will to create is slowing coming back to me. Even if it didn't, I'd had to pretend because of this blogposts.

Goodbye artist's block. 

Love,
Kim

5 comments:

  1. Super dat je weer in de creatieve flow zit! Die stippeltjestekening is echt schitterend, maar ook de druppels zijn geweldig<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wauw, wat mooi allemaal! Heel gaaf hoe je die bloemen helemaal uit stipjes hebt gemaakt! En die druppels zijn ook goed gelukt zeg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wauw, wat ongelofelijk prachtig! Je hebt echt heel veel talent! Xx

    LITAH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wauw! Die tekening is zo ongelooflijk mooi! Ik krijg er zo'n zin van om eens iets nieuws te proberen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wauw die stippeltjesbloem is prachtig. Nieuwe tekenspullen geven mij ook altijd hernieuwde inspiratie, zo fijn :)

    ReplyDelete