Sunday 22 March 2015

The irony of painting trees on paper

Sunday is definitely my favourite day of the week. For some reason I always feel more motivated than usually and I have literally no idea why. I never painted a tree ever in my entire life and today was the kind of day I wanted to try. 

And I didn't fail as hard as I thought I would. Ha-ha. Not even joking. I have this bad habit of thinking I can't do something pretty much all the time I do something. Which isn't a bad thing, but it isn't a good thing either.

Because some days it makes me wanna give up already on something I haven't even started yet. But also, it makes me wanna prove myself that I actually can do it. And if it looks better than I thought it would, it gives me the best feeling ever.

Which happened today. Watercolour is so much harder than you would think. People who also use watercolour know exactly what I mean, but in case you don't.. The name kind of says it all basically.

Water. Water has this thing that it just does what it wants to do. It's not that you can't control it all, because you can. But it takes a hell lot of practice. When I started with watercolour literally everything ended up as a big blot.


I basically just splattered all kinds of pink, purple and orange in the shape of a tree kind of thing. In my head I already saw a cherry tree, but then my mum ruined it with "ew Kim are those blood spatters?"... Uh oh.

But then I added a tree truck. And more purple. More orange. More pink. And this all took me only a little more than an hour to finish. Hooray. So I just did some simple sketches, made a smoothie, cleaned my room. Oh, and a made a really good chicken salad but I left it in my room for one minute because I needed to go to the toilet. Then my dog ate it and I am still sad about it.

Beside that I had a great day and I want weeks with sundays only. Can someone make that happen please?

Love,
Kim.

7 comments:

  1. I may or may not have laughed out loud while reading the title. I love the painting, by the way. The texture of the leaves/blossom turned out really, really darn well. It reminds me of spring.
    x I

    BLOG: http://www.isabeldot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha it makes me laugh too to be honest, also kinda sad. We kill trees and then draw and paint trees on them sometimes. Like, it's weird isn't it? And thank you so much lovely!

      Delete
    2. Yeah! I also thought about that. I thought: holy shit that is kind of morbid and ironic. Whoaaa, deep. No problem, I have been loving your blog & it's new lay out immensely! Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog, it really put a smile on my face :)

      Delete
  2. Can I just give you a huge compliment on how beautiful that tree is! I love the colors, and the Japanese vibe to it. Yeah i know it sounds weird, but it really makes me think of Japan when i look at it haha. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE your illustration. I've been trying to work with watercolour aswell, but I'm afraid that, in my case, the watercolour is still doing what it wants and I'm not succeeding in controlling it. I guess I just need a little more practise. Also: the splattering-instead-of-leaves-thingy is SUPER creative.

    I kinda laughed out loud whilst reading the title of your blogpost btw, it reminded me of a songtitle of one of my favourite bands (the irony of choking on a lifesaver) and that made it even funnier and more ironic than it already was.

    I just discovered your blog (I saw your comment on Paper Boats) and I think I fell in love <3 Your writing is lovely! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god thank you so so so much, that is literally one of the best comments I've ever received. <3 Ooooh All Time Low? I love them too, loads! I saw them like 2,5 months ago and they were so amazing I'm still not over it hahah. :')

      Delete